I apologise for the silence, life has been changing. To say the least. For those of you that may not know, I was a pilot with Thomas Cook Airlines, which abruptly went insolvent two weeks ago. Leaving 9000 employees unpaid and immediately out of work.
You would think I’d now have all the time in the world, but applying for jobs, redundancy, interview practice is relentless. I should hopefully have some time soon to dedicate to the chocolate and bring a few news collections out.
If you’ve not come across to The Careless Collection yet, please come and have a look. http://Www.thecarelesscollection.co.uk
This dessert is what I cooked in the penultimate episode of Masterchef. If brought the judges to tears. If you can make your own puff pastry please do, as it makes such a difference.
200g Plain Flour
180g Unsalted Butter-please leave in fridge 100ml ice cold water. Please leave in fridge too. Salt
Caramelised Apple Gel
6 Pink Lady Apples 50ml Calvados 200ml Apple Juice Cornflour
Egg Custard Creme Patisserie
150ml Double Cream 150ml Whole Milk
4 Egg Yolks
20g Cornflour Nutmeg Vanilla extract 75g Sugar
Clotted Cream Ice Cream
227g Clotted Cream 125ml single cream Vanilla extract
Apple Caramel Sauce
10g Liquid Glucose
100ml Apple juice
42g Light Brown Sugar 29g Ground Hazelnuts 80g Flour
1) Cube the butter and add to the flour with a pinch of salt. Slowly add the water until the mix almost comes together. It should be dry and crumbly. Arrange into a rectangle and roll out until about an inch thick. Fold into thirds, turn 90 degrees and repeat. Do this six times, and then wrap in cling film and put in freezer for 15mins.
2) For the Creme pat, bring the milk, cream vanilla and nutmeg up to a simmer. Mix egg yolks, cornflour and sugar together. Put a third of milk onto eggs, then back into the pan until thickened. Add the butter and place in fridge to solidify.
3) Make the ice cream by beating the egg, sugar, liquid glucose until white and airy. Add the creams, then straight into ice cream maker.
4) Remove pastry from fridge and repeat rolling/folding another two or three times. Place back in freezer for another 10minutes.
5) Peel the apples and blitz to rough mix in processor.
6) Make the crumble by rubbing all the ingredients together.
7) Roll out pastry and cook at 190c for 25mins between two baking trays. Place crumble on another tray and cook that at the same time.
8) Caramelise the sugar, take off heat and add butter. Stir in, then add the apples. Add the calvados then the juice. Cook for about 15mins until dark and sticky. Puree some if it with a stick blender. Leave some bits in for texture.
9) For the Apple caramel. Again caramelise the sugar and liquid glucose, then add the apple juice. Heat for a few minutes to leave a liquid caramel.
10) Once the pastry is cooked, cut into rectangles.
11) Pipe the Apple gel horizontally, pipe the Creme pat normally onto another piece of pastry and top the apples. Then spread a little Apple caramel to the top piece and sprinkle with crumble. Dust with icing sugar. Serve the ice cream on the side!