Hopefully some traces of summer will return so we can enjoy this beef salad again. It’s a fine Italian salad, the classic is marinated with balsamic and served with a rocket and parmesan salad. I happen to love blue cheese and beef combination so I served mine with some Cashel Blue
On the side we have my foolproof homemade focaccia. I make this quite often now as it’s the easiest bread in the world to make. Just follow the instructions below. As the dough has a large water content in it, you don’t need to knead it. The wet dough will prove perfectly well all by itself. Once you have the basic dough, it can then be decorated as you please with rosemary and salt or cheese and tomato as I have done.
- 600g Total Weight (150g/person) Sirloin Steak
- 100ml Olive oil
- 50ml Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 3 Sprigs Rosemary
- 100g Rocket
- 75g Blue Cheese
- 2 Tbsp. Pine Nuts
- 500g Bread Flour
- 2 Packets, 14g total Fast Action Dried Yeast
- 400ml Water
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 200g, halved Cherry Tomatoes
- 50g, grated Parmesan/Cheddar
- For the beef, mix together oil, vinegar, rosemary and garlic. Add some seasoning, pour over the beef and marinate for at least a couple of hours or overnight if organised.
- Prepare the bread. Add the flour to a bowl, yeast on one side salt on the other. Add the oil and then 350ml of the water. Mix together with a wooden spoon until all incorporated. If it's very stiff add a little more water. It should be a wet sticky dough that you can move the spoon through. It will look lumpy and a mess, this is correct. Cover and set aside to double in size. It will sort out any lumps of flour on its own. As there's lots of liquid the gluten will easily be stretched on it's own accord, hence no kneading.
- Once doubled, put onto a large baking tray.( At least 25cm x 35cm) Spread to the corners, don't be too pretty about it. Leave for half an hour to rise again. Now press your fingers all over to make the holes. Add the cherry tomatoes and spread cheese over. Bake for 25 minutes at 200°C Fan/Gas 7.
- For the tagliata. Cook the beef to your liking. Making sure you rest it for at least 10 minutes. For medium, remove steaks from fridge for one hour. Cook for 6 minutes total, flipping every 30 seconds. Rest for 10 minutes. Slice.
- Add the remaining marinade to the rocket with the cubed blue cheese and pine nuts.