Now I’m all for trends and keeping up with fashion in the gourmet world. There are days though, when you discover a classic and realise that what you were served for school dinners, was not how they should have been. These duchess potatoes especially. They are my new go to spud recipe. Absolutely amazing, light, fluffy, buttery and crispy outsides what’s not to like. They are also so simple to make and can be prepared well ahead of time. They need to be quite dry, so they only have three ingredients. Potatoes, butter and egg yolk.
I’m still loving cauliflower at the moment. I pan fried some large florets and used the trimmings for a curried puree. I’ve finally added some pan fried capers and raisins. I’m not quite sure what it is, but both of these ingredients are totally transformed when lightly fried. They lose some of their acidity, which is what can put people off capers.
- 4 Lamb Loin
- 75g Breadcrumbs
- 50g total, Mint, Parsley, Tarragon Herbs
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 4 medium Baking Potatoes
- 50g Butter
- 2 Egg Yolk
- 1, cut into large florets and small pieces Cauliflower
- 500ml Milk
- 50g Butter
- Fresh Grating Nutmeg
- 50g Capers
- 50g Large Raisins
- Prepare the potatoes by boiling them in their skins for 30mins. Remove the skins and pass through a ricer. Add the butter and egg yolks. Put in a piping bag and pipe onto greaseproof paper. Set aside until ready to cook. When ready cook at 200°c Fan for 15mins.
- Cook all of the cauliflower trimmings in the butter over a high heat for a few minutes. Add the milk and simmer for 8 minutes. Season and puree with a stick blender. Add some fresh nutmeg. If it is a little wet, leave on the heat to dry out.
- Put the breadcrumbs, herbs, garlic and oil in a food processor and turn into a green crumb. Place in a dry frying pan and heat until crispy.
- Pan fry the capers and raisins in a little oil for a minute or two and set aside.
- Cook the large florets in some butter for 4 minutes a side. I added a little cumin and turmeric for flavour too.
- In the same pan, season the lamb loins and cook for 30secs a side. Cooking for 6 minutes total, flipping every 30s. Let rest for 6 minutes. Brush with some mustard and coat with the crumb.