This looks quite a straight forward dish, which it is, if you plan ahead. There are two main parts that make this stand out from the crowd. Firstly a homemade chicken stock and fresh gnocchi need to be made. One trick I’ve found with gnocchi is to not cook them in boiling water or this makes them have that horrible gluey texture. I make them ahead, dry out in fridge then shallow fry them. I can’t express how much difference a homemade chicken stock makes. It really is the component that makes restaurant sauces taste so much better than homemade ones.[purerecipe]
- 1, room temperature. Guinea fowl
- 10 large pods or 200g shelled. Broad Beans
- 20g dried or 250g fresh Morel Mushrooms
- 300ml Chicken Stock
- 300g Petit Pois
- 20g Butter
- 4 Tbsp. Cream
- 1kg Chicken Wings
- 4 Carrots
- 1 Onion
- 2 sticks Celery
- 1 Leek
- 50ml Brandy
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Puree
- 200ml White wine
- 1 Tsp Peppercorns
- 1 Large 400g Baking Potato
- 50g Plain Flour
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan
- 1 Egg
- 6g Salt
- To make chicken stock, either brown wings in some oil in a pan or roast for 45 mins at 180c. Add these to a stock pot with the remaining ingredients(veg roughly chopped). Add 3 litres water, bring to the boil then simmer for about 4-6 hours
- For gnocchi, microwave potato for 10-15 mins depending on size. Remove flesh( you need 200g cooked) add the parmesan and egg first then the flour and seasoning. Roll into a long sausage about 1in wide, cut at intervals 1cm wide. Put these on a floured plate and put in the fridge.
- Heat oven to 200c. Roast bird for 45mins. Remove and let it rest for 15-20mins. It will not go cold! I used a 1.4kg bird and only need 40 mins to cook it. Roasting birds for 1hr 30 mins is nonsense.
- Place dried morels, in a pan with the chicken stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 mins. Remove morels and cut into bite sized chunks if large. Add cream to sauce to thicken slightly. Place morels and broad beans back into sauce and keep warm.
- Heat a frying pan with 1tbsp oil and butter and sauté the gnocchi's for about 5 mins.
- Cook peas in microwave with the butter then puree.