- 450g(or fresh mince) Left Over Roast Lamb
- 1 Large Aubergine
- 2 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 75ml Port
- 75ml Red wine
- 150ml Beef/Lamb stock
- 1 Medium finely diced. Carrot
- 250ml Yoghurt Greek or Plain
- 2 Egg yolks
- 50g Grated Parmesan
- 1 Tsp. Dijon Mustard
- 250g Baby Plum Tomatoes
- 1 Bunch Thyme
- 400g Charlotte Potatoes(New)
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 200ml Milk
- 1 Rind or 25g grated. Parmesan
- 500ml Oil
Tomatoes, Potatoes and Foam.
This is a great get ahead recipe as everything just needs warming through at the time of serving.
- Halve tomatoes and put in an oven at 110°c for an hour. Scattered with a drop of oil and some thyme leaves, salt and pepper.
- Cut the new potatoes into rounds about 1cm thick. Cover with oil, add garlic and thyme sprigs, bring to a simmer and confit for 30mins until cooked.
- Add the parmeasn rind to the milk, bring to a boil, take off the heat and let infuse.
- For the moussaka, (if using fresh meat, brown in a pan and drain the oil that comes off it. ) Add the meat, carrot, herbs and spices to a pan and put on a high heat.
- Add the port and boil until it reduces to a sticky glaze, the same with the red wine. Then add the stock and simmer for 20mins to cook the carrot and let the flavours amalgamate.
- Now add the cornflour if it's not a solid mix. Set aside to cool. It will solidify a little more as it cools.
- Slice the aubergine into 5mm rounds and heat them in a griddle with a little oil until cooked.
- To build your moussakas you will need a 9cm chef's ring. Failing that just a decent sized oven proof dish. Add a layer of meat, then neatly layer some aubergine,meat and final aubergine.
- To make the sauce mix all the ingredients together and spoon over the moussaka. Heat in the oven at 200°c for 15 mins for individual ones or 25mins for a large one at 180°c.
- Heat the parmesan milk to drinking temperature, 50°c. Then with a stick blender moving up and down, in and out of the milk create some foam.
- Decorate the plate with three potatoes, topped with a tomato and spoon the foam over.
- Enjoy with one of the wines below.