- 1 Rabbit
- 450g Mussels
- 250g Peeled, shells only reserved Shell on Prawns(little ones)
- 2 per person King Prawns
- 250g Short Grain Paella Rice
- 1 medium Onion
- 1 finely sliced Red pepper
- 6 chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Garlic
- 50g finely chopped. Chorizo
- 1/2 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
- Big Pinch Saffron
- 1.5l Chicken Stock
- 75ml White wine
- 1 Cup Full Petit Pois
- 2Tbsp Parsley
- 1 Lemon
- Chop up rabbit into 6pieces, cover with chicken stock and simmer for two hours. Reserve liquid, separate meat and roughly chop. Reserve.
- Clean mussels and remove king prawns from shells. Add to a pan on a high heat with the other prawn shells. Add the wine and let it bubble, now add 300ml reserved stock. Cover and cook for a few minutes until the mussels open.
- Remove the mussels, reserve 5 large in shell for presentation. The remainder can go with the rabbit meat.
- Continue to cook the liquid with the prawn shells. Add another 250ml of liquid and boil for 20mins. Drain this liquid, now top whatever you have up to 750ml with the rabbit stock. Keep warm and add the Saffron so it begins to infuse the stock.
- Now make a sofrito, cook onions and chorizo in 1 Tbsp of oil until it turns dark red. Add paprika, cook for 2 mins. Now add tomatoes and red pepper and cook until it turns into a thick paste almost.
- Turn up the heat, add rice, stir to coat then add the stock. There are now many ways to skin a cat! Some people leave this uncovered, some cover with a cartouche. For this version I left it uncovered, turned the heat down to a generous simmer. This will now need 20mins to cook. So time it, sometimes you may need to add just a touch of water after 15mins, so keep an eye on it(It's better to have too little liquid, as if you overcook it the paella turns into rice pudding). Before you leave it, taste the stock as this will determine the finished dish. If it's lacking a little depth of flavour add some salt.
- Once the timer is set, do not stir the rice. A proper paella sticks to the pan and creates crusty bits, chef's perks, so just monitor the water volume.
- After 18mins, place the giant prawns on top of the rice, turn after 1minute. Once cooked and stock absorbed, stir in all the mussels, rabbit meat and peas. Stir through a tbsp or two of chopped parsley with a large squeeze of lemon.