I wonder how many people are still scared of rabbit because they had one as a pet. Suffice to say the ones in the shops were certainly nobodies pets. This Rabbit Rarebit idea from creating a rarebit. I love it on fish, it just adds some body to the fish. I just happened to be in the fishmongers and he had a rabbit in and so the rabbit rarebit was born. Rabbits are a very strange animal. I find them half-way between a chicken and pig in terms of butchering it. Luckily they tend to be jointed these days if you are lucky enough to find them. They are cheap and produce a lot of meat, with a taste of organic chicken. The way I decided to prepare it was to make the best of the fiddly joints of legs and shoulders you will have. By slow cooking these, all the meat falls off the bone, which can then be remoulded in to presentable shapes as shown. The loins can then simply be pan fried and served along side. So what is Rarebit? In short it’s poor mans Rabbit when they couldn’t catch any, so would have to suffer cheese on toast. It is a rather special cheese on toast, with plenty of variations to suit your tastes.[purerecipe]
- 1 Large/2 Small Jointed Rabbit
- Enough to cover Chicken Stock
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp Peppercorns
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 1 Chopped Carrot
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp Flour
- 250ml Ale
- 1/2 Tsp. Cayenne Powder
- Few Drops Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 Tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
- 100g Grated Parmesan or Cheddar
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1/2 Savoy Cabbage
- Knob Butter
- 150ml Cream
- Put all the joints of the rabbits in a pot with roughly chopped onions, carrots and the other ingredients. Cover with stock. Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for 4 hours.
- After this, remove the meat from the joints, season if they need it. Then arrange in some chef's rings. Set aside in fridge to solidify.
- To make the rarebit, combine butter and flour in a pan. Add the ale to make a sauce. Add the remaining ingredients except the egg yolks. Taste and adjust to your liking, it will be slightly bitter due to the ale. Once cooled stir in the egg yolks and set aside.
- For the cabbage, finely slice and cook in the butter only. Transfer to a food precessor, add cream and puree. Season with salt and pepper.
- To cook the rarebits, heat the grill to medium, spoon over the thickened rarebit. Brown under the grill. The heat of the oven with the grill on should reheat the cooked rabbit.
- Make a circle of puree, add the rabbit rarebit on top. If you have decent sized loins, quickly sear them in a pan and serve along side.
- Serve with your favourite vegetables and Fondant Potatoes.