First thing to mention about this posting of raspberry and almond slices is that it isn’t a normal post for my blog. As delicious as they were and look, I don’t qualify them as fine dining at home. Why are they here then? Well my blogging friend FoodNerd, is hosting a virtual bake sale to raise funds for cancer research. She has asked many bloggers to add bakes to her post and donate the cash that would have been spent on ingredients.
Sounds like a good idea. My next few posts will be for this purpose, so slightly off piste. I say this as I have a few good “bakes” but never felt they warranted going into print. This gives me a perfect opportunity to post these recipes and see if anyone likes them.
Still to come is a caramelised fougasse plus a pistachio cake with chai tea cream.[purerecipe]
- 375g Sweet Shortcrust Pastry
- 5-6 Tbsp. Raspberry Jam
- 150g Raspberries
- 200g Butter
- 200g Caster Sugar
- 100g Ground Almonds
- 100g Self-Raising Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Almond Extract
- 4 Eggs
- 4 Tbsp Apricot Jam
- 25g Flaked Almonds
- Line a 20cmx30cm tray with baking paper. Roll the pastry to 3mm( £1 coin), line the tray and prick all over. Place back in the fridge for 30mins. Bake for 10mins at 180°c FAN, remove and allow to cool. While its cooling make the frangipane.
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale. Gradually beat in the eggs one at a time. Now add the ground almonds, flour, almond extract and baking powder.
- Spread the raspberry jam over the pastry, dot with raspberries and cover with the sponge mix. Bake at 160°c FAN for 35-40mins, scatter the almonds over after 20mins.
- To finish, warm the apricot jam so it loosens and brush this over the top to give a nice sheen.