My inspiration for this Mediterranean salad and cucumber foam came from a fellow bloggers post. Couscous and Conciousness’ amazing Courgette, Pea, Quinoa Salad was an excellent base for playing with alternative grains. The flavour combinations were so wonderful it didn’t really matter what grain was added to the final dish. Here, I used Wholewheat Giant Couscous, normal couscous would be good but any alternative grain you fancy will work. I’ve come across a beautiful combination of caramelised fennel, feta, basil and extra virgin olive oil.
I used haddock today but any white fish or salmon will work well. The cucumber foam, how did I come up with that idea? To be honest I have no idea. It was a flash of genius/madness depending on your taste. I wanted a cooling refreshing sauce to bring the dish together. I feel it worked well and is simple to make.
- 250g, boiled in water for 8 minutes. Giant Couscous
- 2 Tbsp Pesto
- 8, sliced and chargrilled. Baby Courgettes
- 100g, cubed. Feta
- 1 bulb, finely sliced and caramelised. Fennel
- 1, pureed into a liquid and sieved. Cucumber
- 2 Egg White
- 1-2 Tsp. Sugar
- 4 Portions. White Fish
Couscous and Feta Salad
- As soon as the coucous is cooked, stir in the pesto, fennel and courgettes. Just before serving reheat this mix and stir through the feta.
- Roast the fish portions in a 180°c Fan oven for 10 minutes.
- Whilst these are cooking, mix the cucumber puree, sugar and some seasoning together. Blitz with a stick blender until the foam holds.