This dish of blue cheese croquettes came about from a little retro thinking. I love experimenting with potatoes and cooking the endless different recipes there are. Some of these recipes though, are confined to age old cook books as our memories of bad school dinners have spoiled them. Croquettes, hash browns, duchess potatoes etc.. Why not give them a little tlc and see if we can recreate them for the purpose they were intended. This is when my blue cheese croquettes were born.
I love blue cheese, but anyone who doesn’t like it should try having a blue cheese sauce with beef. The warm cheese isn’t as potent as cold cheese, but the creaminess is a perfect contrast to the irony beef. Any blue cheese works well, from gorgonzola to stilton. They will also work well with a strong cheddar or parmesan.
I also have a cheats version of red wine jus. [purerecipe]
- 500g Plain Mashed Potato(ie mashed spuds no extras)
- 100g, cubed Blue Cheese
- 1 Beaten Egg
- 4 Tbsp Flour
- 100g Breadcrumbs
- 4 Chunky pieces Rump Steak
- 500g Parsnips
- 250ml Milk
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- To Serve Fresh Peas and Mushrooms
- 400ml. Red Wine Jus
- 1 Onion
Blue Cheese Croquette
- To make the croquettes, add the cheese to the plain mashed potato. Season only with black pepper. Form the potato into long rolls 1in thick. Cut at 2in intervals. Set aside in the fridge to harden up, minimum an hour. Now roll in flour, egg and the breadcrumbs. These can be put back into the fridge until you're ready for them. Otherwise, deep fry for 5 mins at 160°c, or you can cook them in the oven for 20mins at 200°c, turning every 5 mins. If you cook in the oven, make sure the baking tray is well oiled.
- Peel and chop the parsnips, add the garlic, milk and enough water to just cover. Boil for 10mins, strain and puree, adding a little of the cooking liquor if they get too thick. Season with salt and white pepper.
- For the steak, cook on a very high heat for 6 minutes in total. Turning every minute. This means five flips, set aside and let it rest for 5 mins or while you cook the croquettes.
- Meantime, saute the mushrooms for 3 minutes, add the peas for 1 minute at the end.