Prawns, beetroot and parmesan may sound a rather strange combination, cheese biscuits with fish and beetroot. As it’s served chilled a lot of the over riding tastes are numbed and the dish works perfectly. I have found a superb trick for the parmesan sable, replacing some of the butter with oil decreases the moisture content of the dough and hence makes crisper sables. I used Nigellas Parmesan Shortbread recipe and adjusted it. The beetroot mousse is creme fraiche and puree beetroot set with gelatine. The highlight of the dish to bring it all together is the green soup. This is a chilled cucumber soup. It is simply cucmber juice blended with egg whites so that it emulsifies and stays airy. There are a few stages to this dish but all can be done in advance so that it becomes a last minute assembly.[purerecipe]
- 175g Plain Flour
- 75g Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 75g Parmesan
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 250ml Beetroot Juice
- 250g Creme Fraiche(low fat works well)
- 2 Sheets Gelatine
- To make the sable biscuits, rub the flour, oil and butter together. Add the cheese and egg yolk, continue to bring together and season with black pepper only. Place on to a flat surface, squeeze the mix together and knead for a couple of minutes until smooth. Place between two sheets of cling film and roll out to 3mm thick. Put in the fridge for 30mins.
- Cut the dough into 5cm x 12cm rectangles and place on a baking tray on top of baking parchment. Bake at 150°c for 15-20mins. Store in an airtight box once cooled.
- For the beetroot mousse, soak the gelatine in cold water for 10mins. Add this to 100ml of the beetroot juice and heat until it dissolves. Now combine this with the creme fraiche and the remaining juice and mustard. Pour into a flat tray so that it is 5mm thick. Place in the fridge for an hour to set.
- For the pickled vegetables. Heat the mixture, pour over the vegetables and leave for at least an hour. Ideally overnight.
- For the cucumber soup, add the egg white to the juice and blend with a hand blender until well combined. Place in the fridge to keep cool.