- 1 Large will yield 4-8 chips depending how big you want chips. Large Floury Potatoes (Maris Piper, Rooster)
- Enough to fill 1/2 a saucepan( if no deep fat fryer) Oil
- Cut potatoes into chips, 2cm x 2cm as best you can. Cross section is important but length isn't.
- Wash in cold water, like you would rice, until water is clear.
- Simmer potatoes in water for about 30 mins. You want to get the potato to the point of fissureing and cracking. If they are still a perfect oblong they won't get very crispy.
- Remove very carefully, place them on a wire rack so water drips off and air can get to all sides. The very delicate potatoes will harden a little as they cool. There will no doubt be a few breakages, so make more chips than you need.
- Place these in the freezer for at least an hour.
- Par-fry now at 130c for 5-7 mins in your pan of oil or deep fat fryer, make sure they don't colour. Remove, place back on rack and freezer again for 1 hour.
- Now fry at 180c/190c until golden. Serve with salt and vinegar, sauce mayo or whatever your preference is.