Some may think this dish sounds an odd mixture of flavours. Cheese, fish and Japanese all in one. Firstly the cauliflower cheese is a delightful clam veloute thickened with cauliflower and cheese. This mellow fishy but distinctive flavour marries beautifully with the Brown Trout. The Brown Trout, along with Sea Trout are well worth searching for. They aren’t farmed and have such a mature organic flavour.
The nori salt in this dish adds the extra umami taste to the dish. It’s seaweed/salty taste adds a deep satisfying bite to the dish, especially whens it’s used to season the raw shaved cauliflower slices. I’ve just finished off the dish with my new mushroom friends, girolles and black trumpets. Any other mushroom and even peas would go well also.[purerecipe]
- 1 Medium, cut in half. Cauliflower
- 500ml Milk
- 500g Clams
- 150ml White wine
- 1 finely chopped Shallot
- 25g Butter
- 25g Flour
- 100g Strong Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Large Brown Trout
- 1 Nori Sheets
- 25g Salt
Cauliflower Cheese Puree
- Chop up half the cauliflower into chunks, cover with the milk and simmer for 12 minutes. Drain and reserve the milk.
- Soften the shallot in some butter, add the clams and wine. Bring to a boil, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Again reserve the liquid, take out the clam meat from the shells.
- Make a roux with the flour and butter, add the clam liquor bit by bit and the reserved milk. Add the cooked cauliflower back to this sauce and puree with a stick blender. Now add the cheese while warm off the heat. Season with white pepper only.
- Add the nori sheet to the salt in a pestle and mortar. Crush together.
- Slice the remaining half of the cauliflower on a mandolin, and keep in iced water.
- Simply pan fry the trout, and mushrooms in a separate pan.