I made this in July when we had our heatwave earlier in the year. It is British summer on a plate. Raspberries and clotted cream all encased with traditional white sandwich loaf. I thought I’d post it before Autumn kicks in so we can enjoy it in our Indian Summer.
These are usually just filled with fruit, but to be different I chose to half fill it with fruit and half clotted cream. A complete dessert in one. I suggest making as many as you can of these, to be completely healthy just omit the cream. They are equally superb without it.[purerecipe]
- Medium, 12 Slices crusts removed. White Sliced Loaf
- 500g Raspberries
- 500g Mixed fruit, blackberries, strawberries etc
- To Taste Icing Sugar
- 150g Clotted Cream
- A squeeze. Lemon Juice
- Line four ramekins with clingfilm. Cut out four rounds of bread to fit in the bottom. Then cut out four slightly larger rounds for the tops. Continue to trim the bread into rectangles so that you can fit it round the sides of the ramekins.
- Blend 400g of the raspberries with icing sugar to sweeten. Add a squeeze of lemon juice to lift the flavours. Sieve to remove the seeds.
- Now dip the smaller round, one side only into the puree. Place these puree side down in the ramekin. Continue with the rectangles of bread to do the same thing creating the walls. Trimming to fit. They should overlap a little.
- Fill with the mixed fruit and divide the remaining(save a little for the lids) puree between each serving.
- Top the fruit with a good dollop of cream, then put the lids on. Wrap the cling film over the top and place a plate on top to press it. Leave in the fridge for a couple of hours to set. Turn out and remove the cling film.