If you are looking for a special dessert to prepare for the festive season this will get family and friends purring. Rather than your usual timing issues with a normal hot chocolate fondant, this is foolproof make ahead version. It will get just as many plaudits as the hot one. It is simply some hot chocolate made with double cream, frozen and set inside a chocolate ganache.
The ice cream is an excellent accompaniment to this dish, a relatively healthy ice cream which acts as a superb palette cleanser ready for another mouthful of chocolate. This recipe is inspired form a dish I ate at Galvin’s Restaurants.[purerecipe]
- 70ml Double Cream
- 40ml Orange Blossom Water(or Tap)
- 70ml Whole Milk
- 30g Agave Syrup
- 25g 70% Cocoa Chocolate
- 20g Cocoa Powder 100%
- 340g Dark Chocolate 70% Cocoa solids
- 250ml Whipping Cream(Heavy)
- 50g Agave Syrup
- 60g, cubed. Unsalted Butter
- 250g Very Ripe Bananas
- 100ml Cream
- 80g Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 440g Greek Style Yoghurt
Banana and Yoghurt Ice Cream
- Make the soft centres by warming the cream, water, milk and agave in a pan. Pour this over the chocolate and cocoa powder and stir until all combined. Add to a container so that the liquid is at least 1cm deep. Cover and freeze until solid.
- For the ice cream, dissolve the sugar into the cream. Add the remaining ingredients and place in an ice cream maker. Once frozen cut into 6 cubes.
- For the main fondant mixture. This recipe makes six 2in/5.5cm cylinders. Place these on a plate covered with cling film.
- Warm the cream and agave until dissolved and warm, pour this over the chocolate and stir until all the chocolate has melted. Keep stirring as you add the butter until it melts too. Now half fill all of your rings. Let these set in the fridge for 20minutes.
- Now add your frozen liquid centres and cover with the remaining fondant mixture. Smooth over the tops. Place in the fridge for a couple of hours. This will let the fondant mixture harden slightly and the liquid centres melt.