Sometimes it’s good to be challenged in life. Trying to make a vegetarian gluten free lasagne without pasta is one of those. There are some gluten free lasagne sheets on the market, but quite frankly, they’re disgusting. Hence I thought I’d make my own. It’s a fairly simple thing to make, but a few rules need to thought of first. Mainly, how will it stay upright and not go all over the place. This is easily solved by making very thick purees. In this instance I have a thick cauliflower puree, thickened with Parmesan. The tomato layer is just a very basic tomato sauce thickened with sun-dried tomatoes. I then made the pesto relatively thick too so it didn’t just fall down the sides.
For those who might want this to go a little further, we actually ate this with a rack of lamb on the side. Sorry vegetarians!
- 2, wide ones Aubergine
- 2, Courgette
- 300g, finely chopped Cauliflower
- 20g Butter
- 50g Parmesan
- 50g, leaves only Basil
- 50g Cashews
- 1 Clove crushed Garlic
- 50ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 400g Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 50g Sundried Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Tomato Puree
- 1 Clove Garlic
- Carefully slice the aubergine and courgettes into 5mm slices. Sprinkle with salt and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat the butter and add the cauliflower, cook over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes with a good pinch of salt. Once cooked blend with a stick blender and while hot add the parmesan to melt and amalgamate. Season with white pepper and nutmeg. Set aside to cool.
- Cook the chopped tomatoes with the garlic, tomato puree and vinegar until quite thick. While warm add the sun-dried tomatoes and blend. Set aside to cool.
- Dry the aubergines and courgettes with kitchen paper, griddle until all are cooked. Now with a 6cm ring, or something similar, create a full layer of aubergine (cutting other pieces up to fit like a jigsaw). Now add a layer of cauliflower puree. Atop of this a layer of courgettes, followed by tomato, followed by aubergine as the final piece. Put these in the fridge to cool properly and solidify.
- Make the pesto by adding the ingredients to a blender and puree until thick.
- When ready to serve, leave the lasagnes in their moulds and heat for 10minutes at 180°C FAN. Remove the rings and then spoon the pesto over the top.