For this walnut crusted salmon and ravioli dish I wanted to make a dish full of flavours and textures that can be put together at the last minute. If you have never made your own pasta yet, follow my Pasta Masterclass post. It’s straight forward enough, but can be a little messy. The results are well worth it though. I don’t know why it’s taken me so long to work this out, but a tip from Angela Hartnett on BBC Food and Drink is to put semolina on the pasta to stop them sticking. This then falls off in the water when you cook them.
The crust on the salmon is a basic breadcrumb with added hazelnuts for texture and walnut oil for a little extra touch. Underneath all of this, there is some creamed cabbage. Serve with your favourite green vegetable.[purerecipe]
- 50g Breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsps Parsley
- 50g Hazelnuts
- 2 Tsp Grain Mustard
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 3-4 Tbps Walnut Oil
- 4 Skinless. Salmon Fillets
- 200g Strong White Flour
- 2, plus 2 egg yolks. Eggs
- 1 Tbsp. Oil
- 300g, soft. Goats Cheese
- 300g Chestnut Mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp Chopped Parsley
- 1 Tbsp Truffle Oil
- 1 Clove. Garlic
Goats Cheese and Truffle Ravioli
- Make the ravioli, follow the link above for more detailed instructions. Otherwise, put the flour and eggs into a food processor with a good pinch of salt. Blitz until breadcrumb consistency. Tip out onto your work surface, oil the surface and press together and knead until you get a smooth springy ball. Wrap in cling film and put in the fridge for 30minutes.
- Fry garlic and and mushrooms for a few minutes, turn off the heat, then stir in the goats cheese, truffle oil and parsley. Let cool.
- Roll the pasta with a rolling pin so that it will fit through a pasta machine. Roll it up to No 7 on the scale. I now use my 9cm chef's rings to estimate how many raviolis per sheet of pasta I can make. Place a teaspoon of the mixture in the middle, wet the outsides of the circles and lay another sheet of pasta on top. Cut out with the chef's rings. Cover them in semolina/polenta to stop them sticking together and to the plate.
- For the salmon crust. Put all the ingredients in your food processor and blitz to a sticky consistency. Press this together and carefully put on the salmon fillets.
- To cook these place under the grill for a few minutes to crisp up and brown the crust. Transfer to a 180°c Fan oven for 15minutes.
- To cook the raviolis, bring some salted water to a rolling boil. Add the raviolis and cook until they rise to the surface and then give them another minute.