I have been asked to write an article on how I go about my business using up all of my ingredients. In todays world, waste is a real crime and we all do it from time to time, but with a little forethought we can all help use up even more leftovers than we already do. The dish above of lemongrass and lime chicken with a mushroom consomme, all came about from leftovers of a sunday roast. This campaign has been set up in association with AO.com, click here to see some of their tips.http://ao.com/life/kitchen/kitchen-tips/wasteless
My tips on helping prevent food waste:
1) Fresh herbs- to keep them fresh for at least 10 days, wrap in damp kitchen paper and keep in the fridge-except basil.
2) All roasted meat carcasses make amazing stocks and sauces. Never throw them out. If need be, freeze a couple then simmer for a couple of hours to create a great jus.
3) Any stale bread, either freeze or dry in a low oven for 30 minutes and turn into breadcrumbs.
I have some more golden rules that I used for the dish above. I bought a 2kg chicken for a Sunday Roast. I took off the legs and wings and left the crown for our roast. For this dish, I then de-boned the thighs and used the bones plus remaining carcass to add to the stock pot to make this consomme. I had a load of mushrooms we’d forgotten about and so decided to make this oriental consomme. All with either what was left in the vegetable basket or the store cupboard. From making macarons or sauces I have a load of frozen egg whites and egg yolks, so the egg whites were perfect to clear the consomme. I also had some dried up lemongrass. I put these in the consomme to rehydrate, then chopped them up to use as a marinade on the chicken.
The Waste-less Journey has been created by AO.com
- 4 de-boned Chicken thighs
- 1 sliced Onion
- 500g Mushrooms
- 1 Star Anise
- 3 Stalks Lemongrass
- Any leftovers cloves Garlic
- 2 Tbsp Ginger
- 500g Noodles
- Selection of oriental. Mushrooms
- 3, Skinned and deseeded. Tomatoes
- 200g Spinach
- 100g Egg White
- 1, zested and juiced Lime
- 300ml If any. White wine
- 2 Tbsp Fish Sauce
- 2 TSp Sesame Oil
- Make the consomme by browning the onion with a spoonful of sugar. Once browned add any leftover wine and 2 litres of water. Now add all the mushrooms, garlic, chicken bones, star anise and lemongrass.
- Simmer for 2 hours. Let cool, drain and store overnight. The next day, skim any fat from the surface. When cold, whisk the egg white into the liquid and bring to a simmer slowly. Simmer for 20minutes until you have a white cloud on the top. Sieve through muslin or even kitchen towel. Reduce slightly.
- For the chicken, add the chopped lemongrass to the juice and zest of the lime. Marinade the chicken for at least 30minutes. Grill them until cooked through.
- Add some oil to a pan and cook the mushrooms, then the spinach and finally add the noodles. Add a splash or two of the consomme to moisten it all. At the last moment add the tomatoes.